S.N.B. CENTRAL LIBRARY
HAJI ANFAR ALI COLLEGE, DOBOKA
1. Objectives and Mission:
Library of an Higher Educational Institution plays a vital role in the
dissemination and spread of knowledge. S.N.B. Central Library of
Haji Anfar Ali College was set up in the year 1986 to cater to the
knowledge-based needs of the students, teachers, employees and
scholars who are a part of or associated with the institution. The
Library of the college aims at facilitating the use of text books,
reference books, periodicals, and encyclopedia and also to provide
a gateway to enter into the world of electronic journals to its user.
2. History of the S.N.B. Central library:
The Library of the college started providing services since 1986 with
a limited number of books and facilities. The authority of the college
convinced the donor family to donate a suitable library building of
its own and they generously constructed the said Library building.
The college authority, out of general gesture renamed the library as
“SAMSUN NEHAR BEGUM” Library. In the initial stage only a
few students were able to sit and study in the reading room. But now
almost 100 readers can sit at a time. The number of books and
reference have been increased day by day.
3. Types of Resources available in the library:-
Text Books, Reference Books, Rare Books
➢ MRP Dissertations
4. Staff Pattern:
At present the Library has the following staff-
➢ Librarian :- Gobinda Sarma, M.Sc., B.L.I.Sc.
➢ Assistant Librarian :- Nil.
➢ Library Assistant :- Nil.
➢ Library Bearer :- Zahur Uddin, B.A.
➢ Library Bearer :- Samsul H. Borbhuyan, B.A., M.L.I.Sc.
➢ Total No. of Staff : - 2 Sanctioned and 1 Non-sanctioned.
5. Library Hours:
8.30 AM to 4.00 PM
(Except Sundays and Holidays)
6. Library Advisory Committee:-
The S.N.B. Central Library of the college has an Advisory
committee which is constituted and re-constituted time to time by
the Governing Body of the college. The recent position of the
advisory committee is-
➢ Chairperson- Dr. Mamun Azam Barbhuiya, Principal
➢ Convenor- Mr. Gobinda Sarma, Librarian
➢ Member- Mr. Mojaharul Islam, Vice Principal
➢ Member- Dr. Adidur Rahman, Co-ordinator IQAC
➢ Member- Mr. Pijush Chakraborty
Till date 29 nos. of meeting held with the Library Advisory
The Assam Type Library Building of the S.N.B. Central Library
covers an area of 2880 Sq feet with an option of 1515 sq. feet reading
room. It has 17120 Nos. of Books, 36 No. of Book Stacks, 10 Nos.
of Almiras, One SOUL Server, 8 Nos. of Computers, 2 No. of
Property Counter, 1 No. of Display Stand, 1 No. News Paper Stand,
2 Nos. of AC with all other amenities.
8. Reading Room:-
The Central Library has a well equipped Reading Room of having
approx. 100 seating capacity at a time and can utilize the Library
resources. There is a well equipped e-corner and separate Teachers’
Reading Corners’ attached with the Central Library having more
than 10 seating capacity with full time power supply.
9. Library Rules: See Annexure
10. Library Resources:
A. Total No. of Text Books- : 11510
B. Total No. of Ref. Books- : 5610
C. Number of Journals- : 06
D. Number of News Papers- : 05 (The Assam Tribune, The Hindu, Asomiya Pratidin,
And Amar Asom)
11. Book Bank:-
The Book Bank facilities in the S.N.B. Central Library was
Page 4 of 6
started from 2004. At present the Total No. of Books as recorded till
December, 2022 is more than 400.
12. OPAC :
Introduced in 2014 in SNB Central library in order to save the
time of the readers. Average 114 students hit and avail the facility
daily in all working days.
13. Circulation Section:
The Library has a separate circulation section, ICT enabled OPAC
facility is available to save the time of the reader. Recently we also
started Computerized Issue & Return of books with SOUL 3.0
Software to all the members of the library. All the books in the
library have been Bar Coded for providing faster service to the user.
14. Classification and Cataloguing:-
All books have been kept with a basic class number of DDC (Dewey
Decimal Classification) 19th edition. The Computerized Cataloguing
Process has been done in conformity with AACRII.
15. Bar code Facility:
All the books & the Membership cards have been bar-coded
in order to provide faster, secure, and easy access to the available
resources to the users.
16. Online Gate Register :
SNB Central Library have introduced Online Library Attendance
Register with automated scanner installed in the main gate of the central library. The
Automatic Scanner is Linked with ILMS Soul 3.0
17. Security Measure:
There is a CCTV Surveillance installed in the reading Room and Central
Library with 16 no’s of HD quality CCTV Cameras.
18. Drinking Water Facility:
There is a high quality water filter (Kent) is available for Library
There is a separate washroom for both boys’ and Girls’ inside the Library.
20. Research Activities:
The S.N.B. Central library has Research Archives wherein books related to
Major/Minor researches are kept. The Library management motivates the
users to go for research, organizes seminars/lecture programme in the
21. SNB Central Library Rules
1. The students must carry the Identity Card with him/her to get the books issued/Return.
2. Readers should observe strict silence and switch off their mobile phones in the Library/Reading room.
3. Students/Members are not permitted to use other’s Library Cards.
4. Books may be retained for a period not exceeding 15 days by a member.
5. Members are responsible for loss or damage to the books issued against their Membership Card.
6. Loss of any borrowed book must be reported to the Librarian/Library Staff immediately.The Member must replace the lost book or pay it’s cost of the latest edition of the lost book along with overdue charges if any.
7. The Loss of the Library Membership Card must be reported to the Librarian/Library Staff immediately.
8. Bags, Personal belongings and books borrowed from other Library must not brought inside the library and these must be kept at the property counter at owners own risk.
9. Eating, Drinking, Sleeping and smoking are not allowed inside the Library. If found such will be treated as serious offence and will be taken disciplinary action.
10. Violation of Library rules or misconduct by a member may invite discontinuation of the library privileges.
11. Members are requested to check the condition of the book before getting issued. Anydamage found in the books taken out for reading or borrowing should be brought to the notice of the Library staff on duty before getting issued.
22. Future Plan:-
➢ Books to be increased up to 40 thousand.
➢ Separate digital library with minimum 50 systems for the use of members.
➢ Subscription to digital collections on emerging areas.
➢ Access to the library facilities will be provided to general public.
➢ A separate modern library building with all amenities.
➢ Working hours of the library to be extended from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm.